Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A beautiful and juicy rib roast. This is a great holiday main dish.
- 6 lbs standing rib roast
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove top layer of fat from roast in one piece. Slice with a sharp knife while pulling fat strip away from you. Reserve fat.
- Mix garlic, salt, and pepper together until it forms a paste. Spread paste over roast. Top with bay leaves.
- Replace fat strip over roast and secure with string. Place roast in pan, ribs down. Add wine. Cook for 20 minutes. Optional to cover roast for this 20 minute period.
- Reduce to 350°F and roast another 10 minutes for medium.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving.