Prep 2 mins
Cook 18 mins
Quinoa is a very high protein grain which originated in the Andes mountains of Bolivia and Peru as a staple food of the Incas. It's gluten-free and rich in L-lysine, phosphorus, calcium, iron, B vitamins, and vitamin E. A yet untried recipe submitted for Zaar World Tour II.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 2 cups water or 2 cups broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Sauté onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes; add garlic and continue sautéing for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add quinoa, water and salt to pan; bring to boil then reduce heat then cover and simmer 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
This was really good! I used vegetable broth instead of water, and I had to cook mine for 20 minutes to absorb all of the liquid. It was tasty and I'll make it again...thank you!
Like another reviewer, I added extra garlic (love the stuff), chicken stock and salt/pepper. Love it!
Used chicken stock and extra garlic..Perfect.