Recipe by yooper
Prime Rib is definitely the king of meats! This is a simple, yet elegant and impressive entree for your Christmas feast. From allrecipes.com.
Top Review by mandcris
Awesome recipe, I have used this recipe many times on pork roast and standing rib roast. I stumbled on this recipe on another site and modified it a little. Made a paste with the olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, minced roasted garlic, then followed the rest of the recipe. I take mine out of the oven at 115 degrees F and let it rest and the temp will rise about ten more degrees for rare. Most of my family prefers rare prime rib. Serve with pineapple salsa.
- 10 lbs prime rib roast
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the roast in a roasting pan with the fatty side up.
- Loosen the fat from the meat by cutting with a sharp knife.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Spread the mixture under the fatty side and over it as well.
- Secure with kitchen twine.
- Let the roast sit out at room temperature, no longer than one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Bake the roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325 and continue roasting for an additional 60 to 75 minutes.
- The Internal temperature of the roast should be at 145 degrees F (53 degrees C) for medium rare.
- Allow the roast to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving so the meat can retain its juices.