Prep 2 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From a Junior League cookbook. This recipe calls for cooked shrimp or shrimp that are cooked, frozen and thawed. You simply marinate them and serve on small individual toasts.
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked large shrimp
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced thin, toasted
- Whisk all ingredients except for the shrimp and bread.
- Place shrimp in a shallow baking dish and pour the marinade over them.
- Cover and refrigerate for 6-10 hours.
- Drain marinade when ready to serve and place the shrimp on the pieces of toast to serve.
Loved the flavour of these, and the pleasant little bit of heat, I made them for a dinner party appetizer, everyone loved them, a huge success! I had no tarragon vinegar so I subbed with 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Rather than serve them on toasts I served them in a dish with the sauce and with tooth picks, worked very well. Thanks for posting, I will make them again, next time I will try them on the toasts..
For flavor this is a 5 plus there were a couple of things that were not covered in the instructions like when to toast the bread slices I may have done it differently - I have found that marinating cooked prawns in a vinegar based marinade can toughen them but I wanted the great flavor so I marinated them for 1 1/2 hrs,saved the marinade - I buttered the baguette slices and toasted them just before serving, placed two prawns on each slice. I placed all the chopped garlic, shallots etc with some of the liquid in a bowl and served it along side of the prawn toast. Then we could add a tsp of the the lovely garlic mixture to each one, one at a time This recipe is not to be missed - Thanks Oolala for a lovely appy with my Sunday Martini