Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another old Bon Appetit recipe, I've made this several times. It's very nice with any kind of roast.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled,thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped,plus extra for garnish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375^F.
- Place garlic in small baking dish.
- Drizzle oil over garlic.
- Bake until garlic is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cool, peel and chop coarsley.
- Reserve cooking oil.
- Increase oven temperature to 400^F.
- Using the reserved cooking oil, grease a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Layer potatoes in dish, sprinkling each layer with some of the garlic, nutmeg, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring broth and cream to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake potatoes 45 minutes.
- Uncover dish and bake potatoes 45 minutes longer until potatoes are tender and brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Garnish with extra thyme.