Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found the basic idea for this recipe in one of those "checkout aisle" cookbooks. I changed a few things to suit my family's tastes.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (save half)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 (12 ounce) jar beef gravy
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, add beef, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and seasoning salt.
- Cook until beef is brown and onions are tender, stirring often; drain.
- Return to skillet and add half the bacon, and all the carrots and gravy.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in peas and sour cream cook 2 minutes.
- Spoon into an ungreased 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish.
- Take leftover potatoes and garlic powder mix together.
- Border the edges of the pie with potatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining bacon.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
This was great!! I have to say, I wasn't really into it at first and it didn't look to good cooking it either. But boy was i wrong! It turned out way better then i thought and my family loved it. Which is a good thing since my brothers and dad can be a bit picky sometimes. But it's now a new family fav that i've been making alot lately. I tried following your ingredients, but we didn't have everything. So I cheated and used canned veggies and crumbled bacon. But it turned out great, so now harm done. Thanks for the great recipe!
Very, very good! I didn't stray very far from the original recipe...I used 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, used plain mashed potatoes and added 2 cloves of minced garlic to the meat when browing. I also would suggest, depending on the thickness of the frozen carrot slices, to partially cook them in the microwave before adding to meat mixture..this way you can be assured every thing is fully cooked in the suggested cooking time.....Thanks
Great Recipe!! My DH asked for seconds. I cheated though and used instant garlic potatoes for the topping. A winner in our household.