Recipe by Chef mariajane
A garnish is essential to add crunch and flavor to this soup. I like garlic chips, but crisp bacon bits, fried leeks, or garic croutons are good options, too. A potato masher can be used instead of an immersion blender, to mash some ot the potatoes right in the pot., though the consistency will not be as creamy. If leeks are not available, substitute an equal amount of yellow onion.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts halved lengthwise, washed, and chopped small (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, medium size, minced
- 2 heads garlic, rinsed, papery skins removed and top third of heads cut off and discarded
- 6 -7 cups low sodium chicken broth (Start with 6 cups and use extra cup to thin soup if needed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb Red Bliss potatoes, unpeeled cut into 1/2 iinch cubes, about 3 cps
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, sliced thin lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add leaks and cook until soft (do not brown), 5-8 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add garlic heads, broth bay leaves, and 3/4 teaspoons salt; partially cover pot and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until garlic is very tender when pierced with tip of knife, 30-40 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove garlic heads. Using tongs or paper towels, squeeze garlic heads at root end until cloves slip out of their skins. Using fork, mash garlic to smooth paste in bowl.
- Stir cream, thyme, and half of mashed garlic into soup; heat soup until hot, about 2 minutes. Taste soup; add remaining garlic paste if desired. Using immersion blender, process soup until creamy, with food processor and process until smooth. (Process more potatoes for thicker consistency). Return purée to pot and stir to combine adjusting consistency with more broth if necessary. Season with salt and pepper and serve, sprinkling each portion with chives and garlic chips.
- FOR GARLIC CHIPS:.
- Heat oil and garlic in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook turning frequently, until light golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic to plate lined with paper towels. Discard oil.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.