Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
After searching Zaar I couldn't find a recipe like this. This recipe is a huge hit at our house. It has a smooth creamy texture with the flavours enhanced by the garlic. We serve it with all types of meat including fish.
- 5 -6 medium potatoes
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 2 cups grated cheese (we use cheddar)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional) or 2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
- 125 g diced bacon or 125 g ham
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, approx 40 mm
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and slice potatoes approx 5mm wide and place them in a greased casserole dish alternating layers of onion and diced ham/bacon.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Mix the garlic and the cream together and pour over the top.
- Cook in oven with lid on for 1 hour or until potatoes have softened.
- Remove lid and return to oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has turned golden brown.
- IMPORTANT: Leave to sit for approx 15 minutes before serving.
This was extremely tasty, I think the ham that you use would make a difference to the recipe. I have a butcher that smokes his own ham and the flavour came through the recipe. I did change the cooking a little, I cooked it without chese on top in the microwave for 15 mins on MEd Low then put it in the oven with cheese on top to brown. It took 15 mins. This has gone into my favourites book.