Recipe by Marie
This was the grand prize winner in one of the Country Woman magazine issues. I like the addition of the minced green pepper. It gives it a wonderful flavor.
Top Review by Diana in KS
I used 1 teaspoon of garlic powder instead of the garlic coves and left the green pepper out because I didn't have any. This was a great sauce and would be great for dipping sauce or on pasta. EXCELLENT! It was a little spicy for the husband but I did add 1/8 t of salt & pepper to the mix so leave out the pepper if the spicy is not your cup of tea.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the oil into a deep, heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and green pepper and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook and stir until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the water and then stir in the tomato paste.
- Add basil, oregano, parsley and stir.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer, stirring often for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is very thick.