I first made this over twenty years ago--a Marian Morash recipe from the 1982 Victory Garden Cookbook. It was good then; it's good now. A Basque recipe, one can substitute chicken or vegetable stock for the beef stock.
- Blanch the garlic in boiling water for thirty seconds; run under cold water and drain.
- Peel and slice the cloves of garlic.
- Cook the onions and peppers in the oil for ten minutes until the onions are golden and the peppers are soft.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for thirty minutes.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Tear the bread into large pieces and add to the boiling soup where it will disintegrate and thicken the broth.
- Adjust the amount of bread and broth to the desired thickness of the soup and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with grated cheese if you wish.