Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
BHG Dinnertime Express
- 1⁄2 cup shopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained or 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh chives or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- cajun seasoning
- In a medium saucepan cook onion in the 1 teaspoon hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the water, quinoa, carrot, the 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, and the salt.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in hominy and desired herb. Cover and let stand for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush the eggplant slices with the 2 t oil; sprinkle with additional Cjaun seasoning. Broil in the unheated rach of a broiler pan 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 5 to 6 minutes or just until tender, turning once halfway through cooking.
- To serve, divide eggplant slices among 4 dinner plates. Top with quinoa mixture.