Recipe by Izzy Knight
Yes, a phenomenal Italian garlic pie that's packed with flavour. prep time include time for dough
Top Review by Slewfoot Sue
This just hit the spot - hot for supper and cold for breakfast! hmmmm, Izzy, now where is the part in the instructions that tells you where to mix in the 3 eggs? Anyway, I put 4 eggs in, used bought pie shells, pumpkin pie spice (which includes cloves) and (whoops) forgot the pancetta! Still, it was just fine. Usually make most recipes just once but this one I'll whip up again soon w/the 3 eggs & pancetta which will be probably even better.
For the dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed, plus extra for the pan
For the filling
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated pecorino romano cheese (a sharp goat cheese, you can sub. with parmigiano, but it's not the same)
- 1⁄2 lb pancetta, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, soaked in cool water for 30 minutes and drained
- 10 saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the dough: In a bowl, mix the flour and the butter with your fingers until they resemble a coarse meal.
- Add the salt and enough ice water to make an elastic dough.
- Shape into a ball, wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring 1 quart of water to a boil.
- Drop in the garlic and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cool water.
- Crush the cooked garlic cloves; place in a bowl and fold in the pecorino, the pancetta, raisins, saffron, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and pepper.
- Cut the dough in 2 equal pieces and roll each out into 1/2-inch thick disks.
- Line a buttered 10-inch pie pan with 1 disk.
- Spoon in the filling, mounding it high.
- Top with the second disk of dough and seal the edges with your fingers; trim off excess dough.
- Glaze the top with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, place on a serving platter, and serve hot.