Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love a good pickled green bean recipe and these beans are very good!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 3⁄4 cups white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 teaspoons.
- of the salt with the vinegar, sugar, garlic, bay leaves, onions, peppercorns and dill seed.
- Place the pan over moderate heat and bring liquid to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, half fill another medium pan with water and bring to boil over moderate heat.
- Add remaining salt and beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and drain beans.
- Place them upright in dry, clean jars.
- Set aside.
- Remove vinegar mixture from heat.
- Strain the mixture over the beans up to the top of jars.
- Seal, and boil in a hot water bath for 10 minutes Store in a dark, cool place.
A very tasty marinated green bean, these would be great in any cold salad; and would make a great green bean for marinated 3 bean salad. A really good picnic item. I only had enough mixture to do 4 pints of beans, but I do have a tendency to rapid simmer this type of recipe, and possibly I simmered away some of the mixture; so I would caution anyone to be sure and simmer slowly. Thank you for sharing.
This is our absolute favorite pickled bean recipe. We do use 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 cider vinegar. They're definitely best once they've 'steeped' for a few months and the beans have softened a bit. Yes, they're stong, but that's why we love them. Also, since they don't require a water bath & hot jars, was able to have my small son help me and he was VERY proud. Have been making these for 3 summers now & still LOVE them! :)
Gee, these just were not for us. I made these in July and we have tried very hard to use them up but turned out very potent. Maybe some like them that way. Really strong vinegar taste again maybe just not for us. Helps me to pick something else for next year tho!