Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Two of my favorite things, garlic and green beans. This makes a great gift, also!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 3⁄4 cups white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 onions, thin sliced
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 tsp.of the salt with the vinegar, sugar, garlic, bay leaves, onions, peppercorns and dill seed. Place the pan over moderate heat and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, half fill another medium pan with water and bring to boil over moderate heat. Add remaining salt and beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and drain beans.
- Place them upright in dry, clean jars. Set aside.
- Remove vinegar mixture from heat.
- Strain the mixture over the beans up to the top of jars.
- Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Seal and store in dark, cool place.