Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
A tasty Thai tofu treat, phew try saying that after a few. The original recipe came from the veg. soc. but I have never used the coriander root, I hate coriander it tastes like soap! The marinating can be left overnight if desired (this is a good idea if you are new to tofu)
For the marinade
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the bean curd
- 250 g firm tofu, cut into 16 triangles in total
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 5 fluid ounces strong vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the marinade, grind all the ingredients together in a pestle and mortar to form a paste.
- Place the tofu triangles in a flat dish and cover with the marinade.
- Leave for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and fry the marinated tofu until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Tip out any excess oil remaining in the pan, then place the vegetable stock, soy, tomato purée and vinegar into the pan together with the arrowroot which should be made into a paste with a little water. Bring to the boil, stirring to thicken, and return the tofu to the pan to heat through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the black pepper and sesame oil.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with cucumber and spring onions.