Bison cooks faster and is healthier than regular beef because of it's lower fat content. It also has higher levels of minerals and vitamins, especially iron. It's best served rare to medium rare (as bison is naturally tender, but it tends to dry out if it's cooked too long), so these steaks are ready in no time. Portabello, shitake, ceps and domestic varities all work well in the sauce. If you can find chantrelles or truffles, they add a robust finish. If you can't find any fresh mushrooms other than domestic, buy a dried forest mushroom mixture or any combination of the wild mushrooms mentioned above, and follow the package directions for rehydration. If you can't find bison steaks in your area they can be bought online and shipped to you. Substituting beef will change the flavor a little as bison is slightly sweeter and richer tasting and will significantly change the nutritional values. Recipe from the Cadillac Grille.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs fresh assorted wild mushrooms, washed and sliced or 1 lb dried mushroom, rehydrated and sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup merlot
- 4 basil leaves, minced
- 1 sprig thyme, minced (leaves only)
- 1/2 cup veal demi-glace
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1In a large skillet, over medium heat, season mushrooms and garlic with salt and pepper and sauté in olive oil, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- 2Turn heat down to low and add wine.
- 3Simmer briefly.
- 4Stir in basil, thyme, and demi-glace.
- 5Cook long enough to heat through.
- 6Remove from heat and add butter.
- 7Stir until butter melts and adds a creamy consistency to sauce.
- 8Mix olive oil and garlic together, and rub mixture all over the steaks.
- 9Mix together black, white, and red peppercorns and crush in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder.
- 10Crush green peppercorns with side of knife and combine with the rest of the cruched peppercorns.
- 11Spread peppercorns evenly over a large plate.
- 12Roll steaks through peppercorns so that you coat just the sides (not the top or bottom) of each steak.
- 13Over a very hot grill, cook steaks to desired doneness (remember they'll cook fast, about 2/3 the time it takes to cook beef, and rare to medium rare is best; they're likely to turn out tough and dry if you cook them past medium, so be careful not to overcook).
- 14Serve steaks with sauce.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic-Pepper Encrusted Buffalo Steaks With Wild Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (566 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.8
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 168.6 mg
- Sodium 152.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 56.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: