Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My own rendition of Applebee's Penne Pasta Chicken. Its fairly quick and easy and the kids love it.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 -4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Cook 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast in 1 tbsp olive oil for 5-7 min or until almost done add ½ cup green pepper and ½ cup sweet onion. Cook until tender.
- Cook 1 lb penne pasta.
- Add chicken, green peppers and onions too Penni pasta.
- Cook 1 stick of butter or margarine until melted, add 2 handfuls of flour to make a paste, cook approx 3-5 minute Add 2 cloves of garlic, minced; cook 3-5 min more. Add 2 cups of milk and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook until is consistency of a sauce for pasta, approx 10-15 min stirring frequently (I use a wire whisk).
- Add pasta and chicken to sauce, add lemon zest, salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 15 minute add ½ cup of Parmesan cheese and bake another 10-15 min covered.
- I add grated cheese sometimes at the end of baking for a more cheesy taste.