Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is another Lebanese secret old favourite. But get the toothpaste ready. Love this on chicken when bbq'd or grilled. Try it you'll love it.
- Slice the garlic.
- Add salt.
- Begin to crush until salt has dissolved.
- Now add 1/2 tps of Virgin Olive Oil and stir in until it disappears.
- Once the garlic has absorbed the oil add another 1/2 tps and repeat.
- If you keep doing this 3 cloves of garlic will then become a whole bowl of garlic paste.
- It is time consuming but the results pay off.
- Its fantastic as it keeps well and you can use it whenever required for cooking.
- It tastes great on bbq or grilled chicken.
I love garlic and this is great. Because I was making a whole head of garlic, I used a garlic press then a mortar and pestal to grind the salt and the first few teaspoons of oil in. It turned into a nice paste and goes great on roasted chicken as well as crusty bread. I probably didn't incorporate enough oil if it was suposed to take 2 hours (or the garlic press with mortar and pestal REALLY made a difference in the time). It turned out great but I would say peeling a whole head of garlic and the actual blending was only 30 minutes. After the first 2 or 3 teaspoons of oil are incorporated, I started adding more than a half teaspoon at a time. I started with approximately 3 tablespoons of crushed garlic and when I was done adding the oil, it filled a 4 ounce jar. (i.e. half a cup) I would take the time to make it again. I think it would make great croutons.
I love this recipe. The restaurant where i work uses this all the time..But instead of mashing it we use a mini chopper and incorporate a little mayo for people who don't like the pure garlic taste. The chopper saves a ton of time and the taste is the same.Oh by the way the restaurant is owned by a Lebanese family that came over 18 years ago..