Top Review by Fyrestorm
I was trying to make a yummy cheese based pasta sauce. I cam across this one and tried it. It was fantastic: excellent flavor, but it was buttery smooth, thanks to fantastic directions. Unfortunately, I had to use cheeses that I had in the house, so I made some substitutions, but they still turned out great. I used parmesan, gorgonzola, mozzarella, and gruyere cheese. If you love alfredo type sauces, you must give this one a try!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3⁄4 cup aged asiago cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola, finely grated
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy 8-inch saucepan.
- Add flour to make a roux, cooking until light tan.
- Off heat, pour in boiling milk, stir back on heat to boil.
- This makes a smooth, thick basic white sauce.
- Add cheese and garlic and stir to corporate.
- Use cream to bring to desired consistency.
- Microwave pine nuts 1-1/2 minutes on high or briefly saute' with a little butter, then add to sauce if desired.