Recipe by JillAZ
This freezes and reheats very well. My son likes it in his thermos for lunch. I usually use whole wheat pasta.
Top Review by Mary N.
This was a very good side dish. I myself did not like the pasta after I reheated it the next day, but I thought it was very good made fresh. Will make again. Thank you for the recipe!
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter over low heat in a saucepan.
- Add garlic and minced onion.
- Add the flour and cook and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking the whole time. When the sauce has thickened, stir in the cheese, bouillon granules and herb.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- You can package this two ways for the freezer:.
- Place pasta in one baggie and sauce in another and place them both in one larger baggie. Seal and freeze. OR.
- Mix them together and package in single serving or meal sized portions. (this is what I do)
- To serve: Thaw in fridge or microwave thaw. Heat on stovetop or in microwave until warmed through and bubbly. Add a little bit of chicken broth when reheating to keep it creamy. If reheating the whole recipe it will need between 1/2 cup to 1 cup. Just check to make sure it stays moist and creamy.