Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Pretty much any type of bread will make good croutons. You can use stale pieces of baguette to the end slices of a sandwich loaf. Good croutons follow these basic rules= Make sure to cut the bread into uniform pieces, the cubes must be tossed with olive oil that has been laced with the determined spices, and the pieces must be baked in a 350*F. oven until golden. These are great served over soup and salads, even good as a munchy. Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cups bread cubes (1/2-inch cubes)
- Adjust oven rack to the center postion in your oven and heat to 350*F.
- Whisk the oil, garlic, salt and Parmesan cheese together in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and toss until thoroughly coated.
- Spread the bread cubes onto a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow the croutons to cool to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes enough for at least two large salads(2-3 quart salad). Any leftovers will keep in an airtight container or ziplock bag for about 1 week.
i completely agree with other review, delish!!!! I also added more olive oil to coat the bread. thanks for posting, will be only croutons in my household from now on!
There aren't enough stars for me to give this recipe. Absolutely LOVED it! I did increase the olive oil a little as the parmesan soaked it all up. These were delicious with a ranch salad. Thank you so much for posting!
These are the absolute BEST croutons that I have ever eaten!! I will make no other crouton recipe!!!