Recipe by spiritussancto
swiped this off purplefoodie.com, saving for safekeeping. i regularly make oven fries anyways but these look a little faster with the microwave time and a little crispier with the cornstarch coating. i'm hoping the coating would work on yam fries since i can never get those crispy in the oven and they always stick to the pan really badly. i may try this with the potatoes cut thinner since i'm not a fan of the big homestyle wedges type.
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 russet potatoes, each cut into 12 wedges (about 8oz each)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 225°C/440°F.
- Combine the garlic and oil in a large bowl, warming it until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer 5 tablespoons of the oil (leaving the garlic in the bowl) to the baking dish, coating it well.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the garlic mixture and toss to coat. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and microwave on high power until the potatoes are translucent around the edges, 3 to 6 minutes, shaking the bowl to redistribute the potatoes halfway through cooking.
- Combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the hot potatoes and toss well to coat.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake, turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup, mayo or sour cream.