Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 21 mins
- Combine garlic or shallots and 3 cups of the vinegar in a 2 to 2 1/2 quart pan over medium heat.
- Simmer gently, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a glass jar.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 24 to 36 hours; then pour through a fine strainer into a bowl, pressing garlic or shallots with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Discard residue.
- Measure liquid; if necessary, add or reduce vinegar to make 2 cups.
- Prepare seven 1/2-pint canning jars.
- In a 5 to 6 quart pan, combine flavored vinegar, water, and sugar.
- Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in pectin and bring to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Ladle hot jelly into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/8-inch headspace.
- Wipe rims and threads clean; top with hot lids, then firmly screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes.
- Store in a cool place for up to 2 years.