The garlic onion stack turned out to be one of the number one selling appetizers at Johnny Garlic's restaurant, owned by Guy Fieri. This is from his cookbook, Guy Fieri's Food. Guy says this isn't difficult, but allow yourself enough time(it has to sit 12-24 hours in fridge) . Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup canola oil (or other mild oil)
- 4 cups red onions, diced small (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup roasted garlic
- 5 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until lightly browned but not overly dark.
- 2Add the butter and sugar and cook until the onion has thoroughly browned and caramalized, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat, move to a medium bowl, and set aside to cool down.
- 3Add the garlic, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- 4Reserve 1/3 of the mixture in the fridge to use to make the dipping sauce.
- 5Evenly spread the remaining mixture on the top of all of the toritllas. Stack the tortillas on top of one another and top with the last tortilla. Wrap the tortilla stack in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12-24 hours to set up.
- 6Preheat a grill to medium heat. Cut the stack into 16 wedges. Using tongs, grill each wedge on all sides until it is warmed and grill marks appear.
- 7Serve with the dipping sauce and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Onion Tortilla Stack
Serving Size: 1 (1746 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 759.7
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 21.4 mg
- Sodium 855.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 13.3 g