Recipe by keen5
No sauce on this pizza, but it is absolutely delicious! You can turn this into an appetizer by cutting it into small wedges, or use the toppings on Bruschetta. Prep time is approximate and includes rising time of one hour.
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 teaspoons olive oil or 7 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, halved
- 6 -8 plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise into eighths,seeded
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over two greased 14-inch pizza pans; set aside.
- In a bowl dissolve yeast in water; add 4-1/2 cups flour, 4 teaspoons oil and salt; beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half.
- Press each portion into prepared pans.
- Prick dough with a fork.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 4-5 minutes.
- Broil onions and garlic in batches 3-4 inches from heat until softened and lightly browned.
- Broil tomato slices for 2 minutes on each side.
- Finely chop garlic.
- Arrange onions, garlic and tomatoes over crusts.
- Sprinkle with oregano, parsley, pepper and cheeses; drizzle with remaining oil.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8-9 minutes or until cheese is melted.