Recipe by UmmBinat
ZWT7, Italy. Roasting garlic turns its flavour soft and mellow and perfect for enjoying on its own. Any leftover oil can be filtered and reserved. An addictively delicious plate full of roasted garlic, speckled with olives and capers and herbs. From http://desertcandy.blogspot.com.
Top Review by French Tart
This is 10 star for us, we have enjoyed this at least three times now, and I am late in reviewing it, I'm sorry - I have been travelling from France to the UK and enjoying my break! I made this for the two of us before we left on holiday and ate it with baguette and a fresh salad. I then made it for my mum and dad and they devoured it, so I had to make it again today! I have taken photos, but will upload them when I get back home to France in 3 weeks - a wonderful recipe that treats fresh produce with respect and imagination, just the kind of flavours we love. Made for the Aus/NZ recipe tag game and also the Mediterranean photo event in the Photo's forum for April. Merci beaucoup encore! FT:-) Edited to add photos and more comments! I searched high and low for my photos on my old laptop, but could not find them! So, I HAD to make this again, which was NO hardship! Made with capers and then added the olives afterwards as they tend to get too rubbery in the prolonged cooking. Served with my home made baguette for a light lunch, merci encore Umm Binat.
- 4 -6 heads garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 4 sprigs thyme or 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tablespoon extra-large capers
- mixed olive (optional)
- baguette or country bread, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°F Cut the garlic through the equator so that the tips of the cloves are exposed, discard top bits. Pour the olive oil into a small roasting dish. Add the salt, pepper, thyme and capers to the oil. Nestle the garlic cut-side down in the dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Roast the garlic for 45-50 minutes, until the bottoms are well browned and the garlic is soft. Set aside to cool for at least 20 minutes (important! the oil is hot!).
- To serve: add the olives, if using, and turn the garlic cut side up. Dip your bread in the oil, and scoop out garlic cloves and spread on bread with capers, munch on olives, and enjoy.