Recipe by smashmac
Make the marinade in the morning, leave the chicken soaking all day and when you get home all you have to do is a quick chop, assemble and bake. I made this up in one of my "clean out" weeks. I used bone, skin-on chicken breasts and the skin came out so crispy. I never measure so these are my best estimate, feel free to adjust. Prep time does not including marinating time.
- 3 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested, halved, and one half juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (I admit it, I use the pre-chopped kind from a jar)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can white beans, drained (such as great northern)
Directions See How It's Made
- For Marinade.
- In a glass bowl or casserole large enough to hold the chicken mix together olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon zest, juice from 1/2 the lemon, garlic,oregano and red pepper flakes. Add chicken and coat well. Marinate all day or overnight.
- To Bake.
- If you are using the same casserole dish that you marinated it in to bake it remove chicken and set aside, leaving marinade. Place onions, then cabbage in casserole. Pour stewed tomatoes and beans over and mix well. Try to cover all the cabbge with liquid.
- Place chicken on top of vegetable-bean mixture. Bake at 450 degrees for approximatley 1 hour 15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Serve with crusty peasant bread and a Caesar salad.