Prep 8 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this nutritious soup from strongwomen.com.It provides 1 vegetable serving ,and 1/2 a grain. A must try for every housewhole.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked oats (not quick cooking type)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 fresh tomatoes or 3 canned tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- As instructed in website:.
- Prepare the soup in a saucepan that holds at least two quarts.
- Start by toasting the rolled oats in the saucepan: Heat over medium temperature for about three minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- The oats are toasted when they darken slightly and start to smell like toasted grain.
- Put them in a dish and set aside.
- Put the chopped onion and garlic in the saucepan and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- Some of the onion may stick to the bottom, because you're not using oil, but it doesn't matter.
- Add the chopped tomato and the broth, and stir to release any stuck-on bits of onion.
- Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Add the toasted oatmeal and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste the soup and add salt if needed.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: Leftovers will taste just as good, but the texture becomes a little cereal-like if you don't serve it right away.
DH said one day "Hon, you gotta find something to do with all this oatmeal we bought at CostCo." Decided to try this recipe and the whole family loved it, even my picky son who claims he doesn't like tomatoes.
I did double the garlic and add four 4oz chicken breasts to the soup for protein, but besides that I followed the recipe as written.