Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Wow! Healthy, light AND yummy? How often does that happen! Nicely seasoned chicken over a bed of wilted spinach in garlicky mushroom wine sauce. MMMM! The tomatoes break down quite a bit and flavor the sauce with just the right amount of goodness. Makes a terrific lunch or light meal that can be made even more substantial, if desired, by serving over pasta but filling and yummy as is. We love this with garlic bread or other warm crusty bread which defeats the 'light' purpose but mmmmm bread! Note: Pine nuts can be toasted to release oils and flavor. Toss in dry, hot skillet and and toast for about 1 minute, shaking occasionally or heat in a microwave at 30 second intervals, stir, repeat just until nuts are warm and fragrant. Be careful to stop at that point so they don't overcook, get too hot and burn.
Top Review by ddmdoro
Very disappointing because I rely on 5 star recipes. I went out to buy all ingredients for this healthy meal. My kitchen is a mess. Not much flavor...except for the lemon pepper. Soupy, as in bouillabaisse. I don't think you need all that water, as the spinach breaks down so...Throwing this away.
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts or 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, diced (about 4 Tbsp)
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb spinach, precleaned and tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted if desired
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken breast with lemon pepper to your taste, reserve any extra to use later if desired.
- In a skillet over medium heat with some cooking spray or a little olive oil, saute chicken until done. About 3-4 minutes per side. Remove and keep warm.
- In same hot pan over medium heat (use more spray or oil if needed) saute mushrooms, shallot, garlic and tomatoes until soft and tomatoes break down. Add fresh spinach and a pinch of salt and cook until it just starts to wilt. It will cook more in the next step.
- Add wine, lemon juice and enough water to equal one cup liquid and cook just until reduced to a thin, glossy sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can use any reserved lemon pepper here too.
- Place spinach mixture on a plate adding warm chicken on top. Sprinkle with asiago cheese and pine nuts. Serve and enjoy!