Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Warm and comforting! I have used long grain rice in this also, just increased the liquid and cooking time, and also sometimes omit the cheese. The great thing about risotto is it's so adaptable!
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice (or medium grain)
- 3 cups hot chicken stock (or bouillon)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Saute mushrooms in butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a deep skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until soft.
- Stir in the rice and cook 1 minute, coating rice with the oil.
- Stir in 1 cup of the hot broth and let simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Repeat with the remaining broth and hot water.
- Taste for doneness: the rice should be creamy and slightly chewy in the center, not dry.
- Add more hot liquid if necessary to cook longer.
- Total cooking time should be 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, cheese and parsley and season to taste.
- Cook till warmed through.
We really enjoyed this dish. I didn't have parsley or chicken stock, so I used beef stock in place of chicken stock. It made a lot, and I'm glad because I think the leftovers were even better the next day! Even my 1 year old DS enjoyed it a lot. I also chopped the mushrooms instead of slicing them to make it easier for him to manage when eating. Lastly, to sneak in a little more veggies and add some color (not altering the flavor), I threw in a couple handfuls of baby spinach leaves during the last 5 minutes of cooking. We'll definetly be making this again! Thanks for posting!
This is a fantastic recipe - a must for your recipe box! I used 1.5 C of basmati rice. And I used montery jack cheese. At step 5 I added the onion/rice mixture and the 3 C fluid to my microwave rice cooker and cooked the rice that way. And then stirred in the mushrooms, parsley and cheese once it was done. It was perfect, my husband couldn't stop eating it. And he's not usually a rice fan. Thanks so much!!
Nice if a bit bland, where I have a problem is wondering how this meal can feed 6 people ?<br/>Three at the most !