Recipe by Cuthieruthie
Ideal as a veggie supper or a side dish. We just love this in my house.
Top Review by Rainbow*Bubbles
This was amazing! I scaled it down to one serving and made it in the slow cooker (crock pot) on low while I was at uni all day and when I got back the kitchen smelt amazing and I didn't have to cook! I didn't have any cheddar so I used Philadelphia and wholemal pasta, which didn't seem to make a difference to the taste. Thanks for a great recipe, I'll definitely be making it again :)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 225 g mushrooms, wiped and halved
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 225 g penne pasta
- 15 g butter
- 15 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 75 g mature cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat halve the oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the garlic and mushrooms over a high heat until just browned adding more oil if necessary.
- remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in a large pan of lightly salted water according to the packet instructions until just tender. Drain well and rinse under cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas 5.
- Heat the butter in a pan, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute
- Gradually add the milk, whisking all the time. simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce and add the mushroom and spinach mixture.
- Spoon into a large ovenproof dish and top with tomatoes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.