Recipe by Izzy Knight
Behold, Garlic Lovers! This tantalizing garlic tart will fulfill your innermost fantasies :0) (from Emeril's cookbook)
- 2 -3 tomatoes (about 3/4 pound)
- salt and pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted (half a 17.3-ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 -15 fresh basil leaves
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
roasted garlic puree
- 3 heads garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch slices.
- Arrange in a single layer on a rack set over a baking sheet.
- Season lightly with salt and let drain for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and roll it into a 10 1/2-inch square.
- Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Brush evenly with the oil, then the garlic puree.
- Arrange the tomato slices over the pastry.
- Cover each with a basil leaf, then top with a slice of cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and the pepper.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into squares.
- Roasted Garlic Puree: 1/2 cup puree= 3 garlic heads, not peeled.
- Cut each head of the garlic crosswise in half.
- Toss the garlic heads with the olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- place garlic in aluminum foil, make a pouch.
- roast for 40min-1hour in 400 degree oven.
- Remove the bag from the oven and open it up a bit.
- Return to the oven for about 10 minutes more.
- Remove the flesh by squeezing each half clove with your thumb and index finger.