Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tired of mashed potatoes? This offers a delicious change of pace with a tasty blend of flavors and textures.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 340.19 g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 59.14 ml nonfat sour cream
- 59.14 ml fat-free chicken broth, at room temperature or warmed up a bit
- 9.85-14.78 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 0.59 ml black pepper, to taste
- 0.59 ml salt, to taste
- Place all of the vegetables in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until all of the vegetables are cooked, about 12 minutes. Test by piercing different pieces with a fork.
- Drain the water from the pot. Add the broth and sour cream and mash by hand. If your family prefers smooth and creamy, by all means use a mixer. Add in the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
This really surprised me. I really didn't make it completely cause I only had potatos & mixed carrots (orange, yellow & purple) but it was still excellent! Will definately have to try with the squash & turnip!
I love the healthy-ness of this dish, plus the ease in preparing it. I used 3 large garlic cloves, thinking 5 large ones would be overpowering. I also left some of the veggies in chunks for a different appeal. Served with pork chops and cheddar biscuits, we had a yummy meal! Thanks Toni! MERP'd for Potluck Tag.
This is a really flavourful combination of winter vegetables.We love root vegetable mash,and the inclusion of the butternut squash was quite delicious. I've never added sour cream or broth to mine before,but we really enjoyed it. A real winner with entire family,thanks!! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.