Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Who can resist this yummy comfort food? Kids love it! Use fresh or frozen corn - canned will do if in a pinch. I got this recipe from the 7-2000 issue of Bon Appetit. I never add the saffron and I almost always use 1/2 and 1/2 and its been great. Using the whipping cream makes it purely decadent, however.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread (optional)
- 8 med-large russet potatoes, boiled and mashed smooth
- Saute onion, corn and garlic in oil till tender. Add cream, butter and saffron - heat till close to boil.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Add mixture to potatoes, stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Delish! We really enjoyed this a lot. I made 1/2 of the recipe and used the half-and-half as you sugggested. I also added the saffron since I had some. My DH commented 3 times during dinner how good these were - that's unusual around here, lol. Thanks Spit In Soup for a great comfort food. Made for PAC Spring 2008.