Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 30 -40 garlic cloves
- 40 -50 g butter
- 4 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 250 ml milk, hot
- salt and pepper
- Separate the garlic cloves and cook in boiling water for 2 mins; cool and peel.
- Melt butter in heavy based saucepan and add peeled garlic. Cover and cook on low heat until tender but not browned.
- Meanwhile cook potatoes for 20 mins, or until tender.
- Remove butter-garlic mixture from the heat and stir in flour.
- Return to heat and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat again and stir in hot milk and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until thickened, stirring all the time. Push sauce through a sieve or blend until smooth, return to heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Drain and mash potatoes, and combine with sauce. Serve with any roast or poultry.
I like this recipe because I can easily make it dairy-free! I use chicken broth instead of milk and soy margarine. Delicious!