Recipe by Witch Doctor
My kids love the taste of garlic, they also love mashed potatoes! I decided to give this a try and added a couple of parsnips in with the potatoes. I shouldn't have done this now because my boys want this for every meal!
- 9 medium baking potatoes, such as russet (3 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips
- 1 bulb of garlic, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter (NOT margarine)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and parsnips; cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Cook in a Dutch oven or large saucepan in boiling salted water until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut about 1/2 inch off tip of garlic head, and discard. Place garlic bulb in a custard cup. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Let cool. Squeeze garlic pulp out of the peels. mash with a fork, and set aside.
- Press the potatoes and parsnips through a potato ricer or food mill (or mash with a potato masher), and return them to the Dutch oven.
- Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan just until boiling. Stir into the potato mixture. Stir in the mashed garlic, the 3/4 tsp salt, and the 1/8 tsp pepper. heat through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately.