- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chervil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove outermost papery leaves from garlic but do not break bulbs apart or remove thin paper sheath covering each clove.
- Rub garlic bulbs with olive oil and wrap together with thyme sprigs in a loose aluminum foil packet.
- Place packet in a baking dish and roast until garlic is very tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel garlic and squeeze soft cloves into a bowl.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover by 1 inch with cold salted water.
- Bring to a boil over moderately high heat.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher and return to a clean saucepan; stir in cream, butter, and garlic cloves, and beat well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a warm bowl and garnish with minced chervil.