Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This wonderful recipe came from my friend, Diane, and both of us prepare this for almost every family occasion. It would not be a meal at Mama's without them. Easy to make ahead and complements everything.
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs idaho potatoes (4-5)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut in pieces
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- chopped chives, and if desired or sour cream, if desired
- Steam potatoes until tender.
- Beat JUST potatoes 'til no lumps remain.
- Beat in minced garlic cloves, salt, 1 stick butter, cream, and parsley -- adding liquid gradually and beating 'til creamy.
- Spoon into oil-sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
This recipe needs way more than five stars, as it made my potato hating 7 year old woof down mashed potato without a word of protest or complaint!!!
The only change I made was not to top with the breadcrumbs, as I used the mash to 'thatch' my cottage pie.
Smooth, creamy and oh so good...I could eat a plate full on it's own and be in heaven!!
Thanks for a great recipe NJ.
Made with great pleasure for AUS/NZ RECIPE SWAP #64
Talk about some comfort food. The Garlic Mashed Potatoes really hit the spot. Was full of flavor and got my boyfriend saying they where really good. I used one stick of butter for the inside of the potatoes and for the on top. Was a great idea.. More then a stick of butter I think is to much. Sure was yummy.. Thank you for posting.! :)
Wow, we loved this.
I made as written and used homemade bread crumbs, I used 2 smaller dishes and served this over 2 nights for 3 of us. I cooked one all the way and the second took out a little earlier to reheat the next night. (The second browned & reheated so well).
DS was home one night and loved this and DD was home the next andshe just devoured this, as did I.
So creamy with such wonderful flavour. It was just lovely served as a side to our meals and will be lovely with winter coming on here.
Thanks NurseJaney for a lovely way to prepare potato's.