Recipe by CountryLady
This recipe came from the LCBO Food & Drink publication. Whole garlic cloves give texture to the potatoes - as well as incredible flavour. Vampires beware!!!
Top Review by Bergy
Love that garlic! Excellent recipe. I used Madiera wine instead of white, did the garlic in the AM.so I just had to do the finishing touches when I mashed the potatoes. Cut back a bit by using 2% milk instead of cream (I know cream is wonderful). It turned out great - served with Whole Crockpot Chicken, steamed green beans and small whole onions cooked for the last hour with the chicken. The garlic mash just set the meal off and was enjoyed by all. Thanks CountryLady
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- To easily peel the garlic cloves, remove the root end, then add to boiling water& agitate with a whisk.
- Heat oil in a small saute pan over medium low heat.
- Add garlic& brown the cloves, turning often, for 3- 4 minutes.
- Add wine, season with salt& pepper and gently simmer until garlic is very soft (about 15- 20 minutes).
- If you run out of liquid, add a little water& continue cooking until the garlic softenens& becomes glazed with the reduced liquid.
- Quarter potatoes& cover with cold, salted water.
- Bring pot to boil on high heat, reduce to simmer& cool until potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another pot, add cream& warm.
- Thoroughly drain the potatoes.
- Add the cream mixture, a little at a time, while mashing the potatoes.
- Finally fold in the braised garlic cloves.
- Season with pepper& nutmeg.