Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a Cuban dish that goes really well with rice and beans and fried plantains. This smells wonderful while it's cooking. Don't be alarmed by the amount of garlic, it will be okay. Prep time includes marinating time.
Top Review by loridellli
Garlice, lime juice, shallots, onion and wine! What's not to love.
Instead of discarding the marinade, I poured it on top of the chicken and had a fair amount in the bottom of the pan. The last 15 minutes of cooking I added a teaspoon of chicken stock base, 3/4 cup of water and about 3/4 cup of rice. Use more water if less juice is left in the pan.
YUM! Deliciously flavored rice cooked in the same pan and ready with the chicken.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut in half
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 2 shallots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the chicken inside and out with the minced garlic.
- Place the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT FOR THE OLIVE OIL, in a food processor or blender; process until the onion and shallots are very finely chopped.
- Place the chicken in a glass bowl and pour the marinade over, turning the chicken to make sure the marinade is spread evenly; refrigerate one hour.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard the marinade) and preheat your oven to 375°.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; when pan is hot, brown chicken on both sides, one half at a time.
- Remove and place in a shallow roasting pan, skin side up, and roast 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through; check by piercing meat, if juices run clear the chicken is done.
- Place the chicken on a carving board and cut into serving pieces.