Recipe by Sage
This hearty soup is fat free and full of goodness for you. And the aroma when it is cooking is so good. This is a bean soup with a touch above..
Top Review by Charmie777
Really good!!!! There was too much water for me, so I added some diced potatoes part way thru. Also, I squirted just a little lemon juice in it. Served with corn bread and it was perfect!
- 2 cups great northern beans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 -15 garlic cloves, separated but unpeeled
- 3 onions, peeled & coarsley chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup lean ham, cubed
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soaked bean adding 1 tsp Baking Soda 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Place beans, water, chicken broth powder, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf in a a slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place garlic cloves in foil; roast at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and set aside.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to bean mixture, Leave on High another hour.
- Add ham cubes.
- Reduce to Low and cook app 4 hours.
- Remove about 1 cup of the soup from the pot and place in a bowl.
- Break the roasted garlic cloves into pieces with your fingers and press out the cooked garlic and stir into the bowl with the soup.
- With hand mixer or blender, carefully puree mixture until still slightly chunky. Stir it back into the pot.
- Let it cook another 1/2 hour to blend the flavours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in parlsey.
- The taste will surprise you!
- Cooking time does not include the bean soaking time.
- Tip:After reading Charmie's review start with 10 cups of water and add some more if needed.