Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From Martha Rose Schulman's Fast Vegetarian Feasts, received in February 2009 Cookbook Swap. This is based on Italian Pasta Aglio e Olio (pasta with oil and garlic), adding zucchini that has been cut in matchsticks and briefly steamed, then tossed with the pasta and the oil, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Although the author says 2-3 teaspoons of finely minced garlic is a lot, I would tend to add more, just because... DH and I love garlic.
Top Review by Chef MB
5 stars for flavor and for ease of preparation. FANTASTIC! Had the wrong shape of pasta and no fresh herbs and it still rocked the house. Used a julienne slicer from Pampered Chef on the zucchini, steamed it briefly in the microwave. Added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the garlic and oil while that was steeping. Not a bit left over, suitable for the meat eater and the vegetarian. Can't wait to make this again!
- 1 lb zucchini, cut in 2-inch julienne strips (450 g)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely minced (up to 3 teaspoons or 10-15 ml per recipe, I usually double what a recipe says)
- 3⁄4 lb whole wheat fettuccine (350 g) or 3⁄4 lb fettuccine (350 g)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (up to 1 cup or 120-250 ml or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (45 ml)
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL HERBS
- fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- fresh sage leaf, chopped (optional)
- fresh thyme leave, chopped (optional)
- fresh marjoram, chopped (optional)
SALT AND PEPPER
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the zucchini 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Begin bringing water to a boil in a large pot for the pasta. (I would add a generous amount of grated sea salt to the water.).
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil with the garlic in a small pan over very low heat. The garlic should simmer very gently, never turning brown, but just golden. (If it cooks too quickly, it will burn.) It should simmer for about 10 minutes. When it is golden and the oil aromatic, remove from the heat.
- Have a warmed serving dish ready.
- Cook the pasta al dente, and when it is done, spoon into the serving dish and toss with the oil and garlic, and the remaining ingredients.
- Serve at once, passing additional Parmesan cheese.