1/4 Photos of Garlic Lover's Fettuccine With Olive Oil, Garlic and Zucchini
Entered for safe-keeping. From Martha Rose Schulman's Fast Vegetarian Feasts, received in February 2009 Cookbook Swap. This is based on Italian Pasta Aglio e Olio (pasta with oil and garlic), adding zucchini that has been cut in matchsticks and briefly steamed, then tossed with the pasta and the oil, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Although the author says 2-3 teaspoons of finely minced garlic is a lot, I would tend to add more, just because... DH and I love garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb zucchini, cut in 2-inch julienne strips (450 g)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (80 ml)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely minced (up to 3 teaspoons or 10-15 ml per recipe, I usually double what a recipe says)
- 3/4 lb whole wheat fettuccine (350 g) or 3/4 lb fettuccine (350 g)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (up to 1 cup or 120-250 ml or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (45 ml)
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL HERBS
- fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- fresh sage leaf, chopped (optional)
- fresh thyme leave, chopped (optional)
- fresh marjoram, chopped (optional)
SALT AND PEPPER
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Steam the zucchini 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- 2Begin bringing water to a boil in a large pot for the pasta. (I would add a generous amount of grated sea salt to the water.).
- 3Meanwhile, heat the olive oil with the garlic in a small pan over very low heat. The garlic should simmer very gently, never turning brown, but just golden. (If it cooks too quickly, it will burn.) It should simmer for about 10 minutes. When it is golden and the oil aromatic, remove from the heat.
- 4Have a warmed serving dish ready.
- 5Cook the pasta al dente, and when it is done, spoon into the serving dish and toss with the oil and garlic, and the remaining ingredients.
- 6Serve at once, passing additional Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Lover's Fettuccine With Olive Oil, Garlic and Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.5
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 209.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 18.8 g