Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This simple, thick, and hearty bean-packed chili is great for slow cooking. The smell it emits is mouth watering. It makes a lot, so it's good for stretching lunches, snacks, and dinners.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 4 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans (do not drain)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil (do not drain)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large fresh tomato, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Brown ground beef and sausage together in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain. Add meat to crock pot.
- In the same skillet add onion and green pepper. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, approximately 5 minutes. Add to crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock pot and stir well. Slow cook on low 5-6 hours, stirring periodically.
- This can also be cooked on the stove. Follow previous directions, but add to a large pot instead. Heat to boil, cover, and simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
This was really good - in my opinion, just the right amount of garlic. I only used 2 cans of beans and left out the fresh tomato. I also halved the amount of chili powder, pepper and thyme, and it came out very flavorful. Thanks for the posting!
A wonderful, hearty and warming chili - just like it should be! I halved the recipe (approx) and it came out great. I have never before used sausage in chili and I quite liked it. I made it in a large pot on the stove. Great dinner + have extra in the freezer now. Made for PAC Fall 2009.