Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love new ways to liven up veggies. This is quite flavorful, so make sure not to serve it with something that has delicate flavor. I found the recipe on Cooks Illustrated and prepared according to directions, but next time I think I will prepare slightly ahead of time and transfer the beans to a baking dish, reduce the sauce a bit more, then add it to the beans and top with breadcrumbs. Maybe stick it under the broiler for a second to improve presentation.
- 2 slices sandwich bread, tear into quarters (Use a good quality bread, soft whole wheat is OK)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced (or garlic pressed)
- 2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- table salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- In a food processor, pulse bread about ten 1 second pulses until fine, even crumbs.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to medium bowl and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and Parmesan; set aside.
- Wipe out skillet. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until garlic is golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, red pepper flakes, and thyme, and then toss in green beans.
- Add chicken broth and increase heat to medium-high; cover and cook until beans are partly tender but still crisp at center, about 4 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and sauce has thickened slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs, and serve.