Recipe by katie in the UP
Be sure to make enough for a crowd, because these chewy, garlicky knots — a pizzeria classic — will go fast. Cooks' Note: Knots can be baked, but not coated, 2 hours ahead. Reheat knots on a large baking sheet in a preheated 350°F oven until hot, 3 to 5 minutes, then toss with garlic oil and sprinkle with parsley and cheese. From Gourmet.
Top Review by Ma Field
I made these using homemade pizza dough infused with monced garlic and Italian seasonings. Then I melted mozzarella on half of them at the end. Both cheesed and un-cheesed these are little bites of heaven! Now I don't have to pay $6.99 per order for 'em at my local restaurant. These have already seen rotation twice on "pizza night" at my house! Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for greasing pan
- 2 lbs frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated (1/2 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 400°F Lightly oil 2 large (17- by 13-inch) baking sheets.
- Divide dough in half. Keep half of dough covered with a clean kitchen towel (not terry cloth). Gently roll out other half into a 10-inch square on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. (Use your hands to pull corners. If dough is very elastic, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest about 3 minutes.).
- Cut square in half with a pizza wheel or a sharp heavy knife, then cut each half crosswise into 15 strips (about 2/3 inch wide). Cover strips with a clean kitchen towel.
- Keeping remaining strips covered, gently tie each strip into a knot, pulling ends slightly to secure (if dough is sticky, dust lightly with flour) and arranging knots 1 inch apart in staggered rows on 1 baking sheet. Keep knots covered with clean kitchen towels.
- Roll out and cut remaining dough, then form into knots, arranging 1 inch apart in staggered rows on second baking sheet. Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until golden, 20 to 25 minutes total.
- While knots bake, mince garlic and mash to a paste with salt, then stir together with oil in a very large bowl.
- Immediately after baking, toss knots in garlic oil, then sprinkle with parsley and cheese and toss to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.