Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have only one thing to say about these... OM NOM NOM. Adapted from a recipe at Brown Eyed Baker. http://bit.ly/cGcGdr
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups warm water (about 115 degrees F)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons active dry yeast (about 2 packages)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- sea salt
- Place flour in work bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment. In large (4-cup) measuring cup, combine water, oil, yeast, sugar and salt. Stir until yeast dissolves. Pour over flour and start mixer on low. When flour is all moistened, increase speed to medium-high and knead for 2-3 minutes. Form dough into a neat ball and place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 90-120 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line three baking sheets with parchment or Silpat and set aside. Oil a clean counter or baking sheet, your hands and a rolling pin. Divide dough in half. Working with one piece at a time, gently press it flat, turning around and over to expel as much gas as possible. Roll out to a 5x16" rectangle, about 1/2" thick. Using a pizza cutter, slice across the short way into 3/4" wide strips (you should get about 20 from each half).
- Sprinkle strips lightly with flour. Roll gently to form an even rope (do not stretch the length), then tie into a simple knot. Place on prepared baking sheets about 1 1/2" apart. Cover loosely with a towel or plastic wrap and let stand until doubled in bulk, 40-50 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Meanwhile, prepare the garlic coating: melt butter in olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and cook gently until fragrant but not colored, 3-5 minutes. Add parsley and remove from heat.
- When knots are baked, brush with garlic coating, or toss with coating in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt. Serve warm or room temperature. Leftover rolls may be individually wrapped and frozen in an airtight bag. Rewarm in preheated 350F oven for 5-7 minutes before serving.