Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are delightful little savory bread knots to serve as appetizers or as accompaniments to soup or stew.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Keep half of dough covered with a clean kitchen towel. Gently roll out other half into a 10" square on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. Use hand to pull corners, if dough is very elastic. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest about 3 minutes.
- Cut dough square in half with a pizza wheel or a sharp heavy knife, then cut each half crosswise into 15 strips (about 2/3" wide). Cover strips with clean kitchen towel.
- Keeping remaining strips covered, gently tie each strip into a knot, pulling ends slightly to secure (if dough is sticky, dust lightly with flour) and arranging knot 1" apart in staggered rows on 1 large baking sheet. Keep knots covered with clean kitchen towel.
- Roll out and cut remaining dough, then form into knots and arrange on second baking sheet.
- Bake, switching position of baking sheets halfway through baking, until golden, 20-25 minutes.
- While knots bake, mince garlic and mash to a paste with salt, then stir together with oil in a very large bowl. Immediately after baking, toss knots in garlic oil, then sprinkle with parsley and cheese and toss to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Knots can be baked, but not coated 2 hours ahead. Reheat on a large baking sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven until hot, 3-5 minutes. Toss immediately with garlic oil and sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
These are great. I lived on Long Island, New York all my life until just recently and I missed garlic knots so much! These are pretty easy to make and taste just as good as the ones I grew up on. Thanks!