Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious new take on classic Parmesan dishes, without breading keeping it light, healthy, refreshing and gluten free. Depending on how generous you are with brushing the eggplant with the infused oil you'll find some left over. Don't discard it use it for other dishes. Store the leftover infused oil in the refrigerator. This can be served as an appetizer or a meal serving a crisp salad along side.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, sliced super thin
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 black olives, sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 8 basil leaves, julienned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and sliced into 10 rounds (salted for 30 minutes, rinsed and patted dry if desired to remove bitterness)
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 2 chicken breasts, pounded and sliced into 10 pieces the size of the eggplant rounds
- 6 ounces roasted red peppers, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 10 rounds
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425. Season chicken and eggplant with salt and pepper, set chicken aside.
- In a medium pot and add diced tomatoes, paste, olives, honey, oregano, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and let simmer uncovered.
- In a small pot heat oil then fry the garlic slices to a golden color. Remove and set garlic aside.
- Brush eggplant with the garlic infused oil and place on a non stick sheet pan. Bake to brown both sides. About 10 minutes per side. Remove from oven and set aside. Or pan fry to brown both sides.
- Lower oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile In a fry pan heat 2 tablespoons of the garlic infused oil over medium high heat, when hot brown chicken pieces. 1-2 minutes per side. Remove and set aside. Will not be cooked through at this point.
- Add the basil to the sauce.
- Oil a casserole dish with the garlic infused oil and spoon 1 cup sauce into casserole dish.
- Place the chicken slices in casserole dish, top with eggplant rounds, arrange the roasted red peppers over the eggplant top with the cheese. Spoon sauce over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Garnish with the fried garlic.
Flavorful and attractive dish! The stacks are nicely presented, and the use of the tomatoes to create a sauce was a nice touch. Thanks for sharing! Good luck in the contest!