Recipe by Luvs 2 Cook
Serve hummus with pita bread, fresh or toasted, and (or) as a dip for fresh vegetables.
Top Review by WorkingMom2three
Yeah! I found Jane Broady's recipe on here - I used to make this all the time, but then hummus started becoming readily available at the grocery store, so it didn't seem practical anymore to buy the ingredients that actually cost as much or more than a container of it. BUT, my SIL made this recently, and I had forgotten how fabulous it is - way better than ANYTHING you get in the stores. It does take a little bit of effort - even more than some other hummus recipes because you cook the onions, but believe me, it is so worth it.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained & rinsed if canned (garbanzos)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds, toasted & ground